from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various seals or similar marine mammals.
- n. Nautical A very experienced sailor.
- n. See fogbow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of seadog.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The dogfish.
- The common seal.
- An old sailor; a salt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The harbor-seal, Phoca vitulina; the sea-calf; also (in California), one of the eared seals, Zalophus californianus. See cuts under Phoca and Zalophus.
- n. The dog-fish, Squalus acanthias, a kind of shark.
- n. A sailor who has been long afloat; an old sailor.
- n. A pirate; a privateer.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing representing a beast nearly like a talbot or alan, but with the addition of a tail like that of a triton, and sometimes with a sort of serrated fin along the back, continued down the tail. The body is covered with scales.
- n. In meteorology, the solar halo seen in the mist and fog near the surface of the sea opposite the sun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who serves as a sailor
Sorry, no etymologies found.