from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 9 + 1.
- n. The tenth in a set or sequence.
- n. Something having ten parts, units, or members.
- n. Games A playing card marked with ten spots.
- n. A ten-dollar bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A numerical value equal to 10; the number occurring after nine and before eleven, represented in Roman numerals as X, in Arabic numerals as 10, and in the hexadecimal system (base 16) as A.
- n. The number following nine.
- n. (Cards) The card between the nine and jack in a given suit.
- n. A monetary denomination worth ten units.
- n. A superb specimen.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. One more than nine; twice five.
- n. The number greater by one than nine; the sum of five and five; ten units of objects.
- n. A symbol representing ten units, as 10, x, or X.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being the sum of nine and one; one more than nine; twice five: a cardinal numeral.
- [Ten is often used indefinitely for many.
- n. The sum of nine and one, or of five and five.
- n. A figure or symbol denoting that number of units or objects, as 10, or X, or x.
- n. A playing-card with ten spots.
- n. Ten o'clock in the morning or evening: as, I was to be there at ten.
- n. A certain weight of coal used in the coal-fields of Durham and Northumberland, England, for reckoning the royalty fo be paid by the lessee to the lessor. It varies between 48 and 50 tons.
- Ten times.
- Abbreviation for tenuto.
- n. An abbreviation of tenor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being one more than nine
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of nine and one; the base of the decimal system
- n. one of four playing cards in a deck with ten pips on the face
To denote a number greater than ten, we must begin again, _ten_ and _one, ten_ and _two_, &c.
In the sentence, Ten men _walk_, the verb _walk_ denotes _ten_ actions, for there are ten actors.
Out of forty lines of Vergil, Scaife would do fifteen, John fifteen, and the Caterpillar ten; _ten_, because, as he pointed out, he had been nearly three years in the school.
Out of forty lines of Vergil, Scaife would be fifteen, John fifteen, and the Caterpillar ten; _ten_, because, as he pointed out, he had been nearly three years in the school.
He would accept the ten pounds -- but really, did ever you hear of anything so ridiculous in your life, _ten pounds!
On we bound, and on comes the pursuer, not ten yards behind -- not _ten_, but more than _five_.
Congressmen, representing both her white and slave population, but wishes them appointed throughout the State without regard to the slave population: so that the county containing ten thousand white inhabitants, and double that number of slaves, should be entitled to no more representation than the county containing _ten_ thousand white inhabitants and no slaves!
Americanism Contrasted with Foreignism, Romanism, and Bogus Democracy in the Light of Reason, History, and Scripture; In which Certain Demagogues in Tennessee, and Elsewhere, are Shown Up in Their True Colors
He then related, that he had had ten children, _all put out to be suckled_, in consequence of the necessity of his having the mother's assistance to carry on his business; and that _two out of the ten_ had come home _ideots_; though the rest were all sane, and though insanity had never been known in the family of either father or mother!
Advice to Young Men And (Incidentally) to Young Women in the Middle and Higher Ranks of Life. In a Series of Letters, Addressed to a Youth, a Bachelor, a Lover, a Husband, a Father, a Citizen, or a Subject.
-- Thus, I have expended ten _score_ words, to tell the world what another would have told them in _ten_ -- "That our prison is wretched, and we want a better."
On the scale of disruption, from one to ten, this is a ten+, because the infrastructure, financial and government support systems are so weak in Haiti.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.