from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ultrasonic sound.
- n. Medicine The use of ultrasonic waves for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes, specifically to image an internal body structure, monitor a developing fetus, or generate localized deep heat to the tissues.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sound with a frequency greater than the upper limit of human hearing; approximately 20 kilohertz
- n. The use of ultrasonic waves for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. using the reflections of high-frequency sound waves to construct an image of a body organ (a sonogram); commonly used to observe fetal growth or study bodily organs
- n. very high frequency sound; used in ultrasonography
Sorry, no etymologies found.