American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Ultrasonic sound.
- n. Medicine The use of ultrasonic waves for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes, specifically to image an internal body structure, monitor a developing fetus, or generate localized deep heat to the tissues.
- n. physics sound with a frequency greater than the upper limit of human hearing; approximately 20 kilohertz
- n. medicine The use of ultrasonic waves for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes
- n. using the reflections of high-frequency sound waves to construct an image of a body organ (a sonogram); commonly used to observe fetal growth or study bodily organs
- n. very high frequency sound; used in ultrasonography
“The unit is named after the physicist H. H.rtz and is abbreviated H.. Thus the following formula applies to the propagation velocity of the wave: C = fλ = 1/T * λ This equation (wave equation) applies to all wave processes. (ii) Definition of the term ultrasound The frequency of a sound impression (tone) is a direct measure for the pitch of a tone.”
“(Its cumulative, kids!) and the ultrasound is the only thing that ever showed the lump.”
“If the ultrasound is right and if the little nudger currently beating the crap out of my uterus is a boy, then I have to face this decision … to do or not to do?”
“If your child's ultrasound is scheduled at a CHOP facility, consult this page for instructions and more information.”
“The technologist will ask why the ultrasound is being done and explain the procedure to you and your child.”
“A high-resolution ultrasound is performed to document the presence of a lower”
“An ultrasound is a safe, painless way to take pictures of the inside of the body, using high-frequency sound waves and a computer.”
“A fetal echocardiogram (a safe, noninvasive ultrasound is used to assess the structure and function of an unborn baby's heart) and analysis by afetal cardiologist specializing in heart disease in unborn babies.”
“During the procedure, ultrasound is used to visualize the fetus, enabling the physician to choose a puncture site that is far away from the baby.”
“Well, an ultrasound is one way – in fact, I had one of those today.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ultrasound’.
Looking for tweets for ultrasound.