from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To give a detailed statement of; set forth: expounded the intricacies of the new tax law.
- transitive v. To explain in detail; elucidate: The speaker expounded the approach of positive thinking. See Synonyms at explain.
- intransitive v. To make a detailed statement: The professor was expounding on a favorite topic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lay open; to expose to view; to examine or exposit.
- v. To lay open the meaning of; to explain or discuss at length; to clear of obscurity; to interpret.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To lay open; to expose to view; to examine.
- transitive v. To lay open the meaning of; to explain; to clear of obscurity; to interpret.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lay open; examine.
- To set forth the points or principles of; lay open the meaning of; explain; interpret: as, to expound a text of Scripture; to expound a law.
- Synonyms Interpret, Elucidate, etc. See explain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. state
- v. add details, as to an account or idea; clarify the meaning of and discourse in a learned way, usually in writing
GALANOS: Yes, I will kind of expound on what I said.
For "expound" the reader should have read "expand," and at another point the letter should read that "Jefferson, through his confidential leaders in Congress, held that body back until Mr. Lemen, under his orders, had rallied his friends and sent in anti-slavery petitions, etc,"
She can no more treat others honestly and openly than a cat can expound at length on Voltaire.
I can expound on this further if there is interest with an example like El Reloj.
I can expound on this further if there is interest ...
Too much speculation IMVHO, some of which contradicts itself ... and what does expound mean?
Plus the chat function means that you can expound about all of the banal minutia you'd like in regards to the song playing, what it means to you, or the absurdity of the entire situation.
Will anyone in the “liberal media” expound on this encouraging turn of events?
Huh, seems your understanding of current politics is only matched by your understanding of history … hey, about that WW2 black market, can you expound?
There are other business models that you can expound on in the future.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.