American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An allergic condition affecting the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract and the eyes, most often characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and itchy, watery eyes and usually caused by an abnormal sensitivity to airborne pollen. Also called pollinosis.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A feverish attack, coming on in the summer, with inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose and eyes, or conjunctivitis, bronchitis, and asthma, and caused by the pollen of various plants, especially of the ragweed. Also called summer fever, summer catarrh, hay-cold, hay-asthma, autumnal catarrh, pollen-fever, pollen-catarrh, and (early forms) rose-cold and June cold.
- n. An allergy to the pollen of grass or other plants that causes symptoms similar to those of a cold; pollinosis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) nasal catarrh accompanied with fever, and sometimes with paroxysms of dyspnœa, to which some persons are subject in the spring and summer seasons. It has been attributed to the effluvium from hay, and to the pollen of certain plants. It is also called
hay asthma, hay cold, rose cold, and rose fever.
- n. a seasonal rhinitis resulting from an allergic reaction to pollen
“He had put our railway and steamer tickets on the table, and was holding his cigarette so that Aggie could inhale the fumes, she having hay fever and her cubebs being on their way to Panama.”
“Besides, Aggie's hay fever is better the farther north she gets.”
“I went for a walk with Bettina and Jasper shortly after my talk with Jasper, leaving Tish with the evening paper and Aggie inhaling a cubeb cigarette, her hay fever having threatened a return.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hay fever’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
habitable climate, habitable space, habitat alteration, habitat destruction, habitat diversity, habitat fragmenta..., habitat of organisms, habitat of the bi..., habitat protection, habitat requirement, habitat selection, habitat structure and 3456 more...
if you're a cat freak like i am - then this is the list for you
Looking for tweets for hay fever.