from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, involving, caused by, or affecting the moon.
- adj. Measured by the revolution of the moon.
- adj. Of or relating to silver.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, the Moon; moonly.
- adj. Crescent shaped, lunate.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, silver.
- n. A lunar distance.
- n. The middle bone of the proximal series of the carpus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the moon.
- adj. Resembling the moon; orbed.
- adj. Measured by the revolutions of the moon.
- adj. Influenced by the moon, as in growth, character, or properties.
- n. A lunar distance.
- n. The middle bone of the proximal series of the carpus; -- called also semilunar, and intermedium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining, or relating to the moon: as, the lunar changes; lunar observations.
- Situated or moving like the moon; acting as a moon.
- Measured by the revolutions of the moon: as, lunar months or years.
- Resembling the moon; round: as, a lunar shield, specifically, in anatomy and zoology:
- Supposed to be affected by or due to the influence of the moon: as, lunar madness.
- In anatomy, of or pertaining to the lunare, or semilunar bone of the carpus.
- Pertaining to silver: from the moon being the alchemical symbol of that metal: as, lunar caustic (nitrate of silver).
- In navigation, tables for correcting the apparent distance of the moon from the sun, or from a fixed star, on account of refraction and parallax, and for deducing the longitude of the observer from the lunar data given in the almanac.
- n. In navigation, lunar distance, or an observation for lunar distance: as, to take a lunar.
- In Arabic gram., a fanciful term applied to the class of consonants before which the l of the article al is not assimilated in pronunciation: so called because including q, the initial of qamar, moon. Opposed to solar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or associated with the moon
Middle English, crescent-shaped, from Old French lunaire, from Latin lūnāris, of the moon, from lūna, moon; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin lūnāris. (Wiktionary)