from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually alcoholic drink taken just before bedtime.
- n. Sports & Games The last event in a day's competition, especially the final game in a baseball double-header.
- n. A cloth cap worn especially in bed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cap worn in bed to protect the head, or in undress.
- n. An alcoholic beverage drunk at bedtime.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A covering for the head intended to be worn in bed.
- n. A potation of spirit or wine taken before going to bed.
- n. A cap drawn over a criminal's face when he is hanged. Sometimes horse-nightcap.
- n. A bully; a night-brawler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alcoholic drink taken at bedtime; often alcoholic
- n. the final game of a double header
- n. a cloth cap worn in bed
This lets out those who might decide to eat an entire lobster after midnight, or anyone whose idea of a nightcap is a belgian waffle.
The nightcap is between teams that climbed as high as second
My nightcap from the Management was this notice in red ink
At 4 hours, 45 minutes, the nightcap was the longest nine-inning game in major league history, and it came on top of a relatively speedy 3:55 afternoon contest.
If a marriage is to come off, the bride's lace on her nightcap is a subject of criticism.
Pictures of Slavery in Church and State; Including Personal Reminiscences, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, etc. etc. with an Appendix, Containing the Views of John Wesley and Richard Watson on Slavery
M'Carthy prudently hesitated either to arouse his loyalty or disturb the tranquility of his family, and after joining him in a tumbler of punch, or what O'Driscol termed his nightcap, he retired to bed, where, however, he could not for a considerable time prevent himself from ruminating, with a good deal of seriousness, upon the extraordinary interview he had had with the friendly stranger.
A nightcap should be a one-off, not "one more" of whatever you're drinking.
The nightcap was a makeup of Wednesday night's rainout.
And the nightcap is the one you enjoy just as the birds start to sing.
“And to think I once envied her the match!” she went on meditatively, removing her bonnet and substituting a kind of nightcap intended to keep her hair free from dust.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.