American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A ringlike muscle that normally maintains constriction of a body passage or orifice and that relaxes as required by normal physiological functioning.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An orbicular, circular, or annular muscle surrounding and capable of closing a natural orifice or passage of the body.
- n. The sphincter ani proper, sphincter externus, or external sphincter is a thin, flat plane of voluntary muscular fibers supplied by hemorrhoidal branches of nerves from the sacral plexus, surrounding the anus, subcutaneous and intimately adherent to the integument, of elliptical form 3 or 4 inches in long diameter, and an inch wide across. It arises from the tip of the coccyx, and is inserted into the tendinous raphe of the perineum. Like most sphincters. it consists of symmetrical lateral halves united by a raphe in front of and behind the opening it incloses.
- n. The sphincter recti, sphincter internus, or internal sphincter surrounds the lower end of the rectum, forming a muscular ring about an inch in extent and a quarter of an inch thick, and consists of an aggregation and thickening of the circular fibers of the gut. This sphincter is involuntary, and in health maintains its tonic contractility, which yields by reflex action to the pressure of the contents of the bowel.
- n. anatomy A ringlike band of muscle that surrounds a bodily opening, constricting and relaxing as required for normal physiological functioning.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Anat.) A muscle which surrounds, and by its contraction tends to close, a natural opening.
- adj. (Anat.) Of, pertaining to, or designating, a sphincter.
- n. a ring of muscle that contracts to close an opening
- From Late Latin sphincter, from Ancient Greek σφιγκτήρ (sphinktēr, "band, contractile muscle"), from σφίγγω (sphingō, "I bind tight"). Compare sphinx, "the strangler". (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin sphinctēr, from Greek sphinktēr, from sphingein, to bind tight. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“My sphincter is technically precise too Michael. papasanchez”
“The cervix being a sphincter is built to let out cantelopes.”
“As a leader of non-profit I have learned that Starbucks’ sphincter is so tight if they squeezed out a free coffee bean it would come out looking like a diamond.”
“I would say with Hillary the sphincter is a bit too tightly would for true Killer status!”
“There is one test I REALLY hope they don't do - it is called the sphincter EMG nerve conduction test.”
“Your internal sphincter, which is directly behind it, is controlled by your autonomic nervous system and, like your heartbeat, works without your thinking about it.”
“This is called the lower esophageal sphincter, which is a thick ring of circular smooth muscle at the point between the esophagus and the stomach.”
“When weakened, this muscle called a sphincter, opens inappropriately, or all the time, which is the most distressing.”
“The retentive faculty of the nerve which restrains the muscle called sphincter ('tis the arse-hole, an it please you) was relaxated by the violence of the fear which he had been in during his fantastic visions.”
“The Growcube games you invented were so amazing that we even fell in love with all their shitty imitations – so you can imagine the kind of sphincter-squeaking anticipation we had for Galves Adventure.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sphincter’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These things have to do with the stomach...
Intrigued by these words...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
I find these to be inherently funny.
words that I refuse to say out loud.
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again By David Foster Wallace
In the midnight hour she cried MOAR MOAR MOAR
Looking for tweets for sphincter.