from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ringlike muscle that normally maintains constriction of a body passage or orifice and that relaxes as required by normal physiological functioning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ringlike band of muscle that surrounds a bodily opening, constricting and relaxing as required for normal physiological functioning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or designating, a sphincter.
- n. A muscle which surrounds, and by its contraction tends to close, a natural opening.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An orbicular, circular, or annular muscle surrounding and capable of closing a natural orifice or passage of the body.
- n. The sphincter ani proper, sphincter externus, or external sphincter is a thin, flat plane of voluntary muscular fibers supplied by hemorrhoidal branches of nerves from the sacral plexus, surrounding the anus, subcutaneous and intimately adherent to the integument, of elliptical form 3 or 4 inches in long diameter, and an inch wide across. It arises from the tip of the coccyx, and is inserted into the tendinous raphe of the perineum. Like most sphincters. it consists of symmetrical lateral halves united by a raphe in front of and behind the opening it incloses.
- n. The sphincter recti, sphincter internus, or internal sphincter surrounds the lower end of the rectum, forming a muscular ring about an inch in extent and a quarter of an inch thick, and consists of an aggregation and thickening of the circular fibers of the gut. This sphincter is involuntary, and in health maintains its tonic contractility, which yields by reflex action to the pressure of the contents of the bowel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ring of muscle that contracts to close an opening
My sphincter is technically precise too Michael. papasanchez
The cervix being a sphincter is built to let out cantelopes.
As a leader of non-profit I have learned that Starbucks’ sphincter is so tight if they squeezed out a free coffee bean it would come out looking like a diamond.
I would say with Hillary the sphincter is a bit too tightly would for true Killer status!
There is one test I REALLY hope they don't do - it is called the sphincter EMG nerve conduction test.
Your internal sphincter, which is directly behind it, is controlled by your autonomic nervous system and, like your heartbeat, works without your thinking about it.
This is called the lower esophageal sphincter, which is a thick ring of circular smooth muscle at the point between the esophagus and the stomach.
When weakened, this muscle called a sphincter, opens inappropriately, or all the time, which is the most distressing.
The retentive faculty of the nerve which restrains the muscle called sphincter ('tis the arse-hole, an it please you) was relaxated by the violence of the fear which he had been in during his fantastic visions.
The Growcube games you invented were so amazing that we even fell in love with all their shitty imitations – so you can imagine the kind of sphincter-squeaking anticipation we had for Galves Adventure.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.