from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Land abutting a body of water.
- n. The part of a town or city that abuts water, especially a district of wharves where ships dock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The land alongside a body of water.
- n. The dockland district of a town.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Frontage upon water, as upon a river or bay; land abutting upon any considerable body of water: commonly applied to a part of a town or city that so abuts.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the area of a city (such as a harbor or dockyard) alongside a body of water
Sorry, no etymologies found.