Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Muteness; silence; abstention from speech; absence of sound.
- n. Incapacity for speaking; inability to utter articulate sounds. See deafness.
- n. The state of being dumb (either mute or dim-witted), that is, not communicating vocally, whether from selective mutism or from an inability to speak.
- n. Muteness, silence; abstention from speech.
- n. Refusal or unwillingness to speak.
- n. Show or gesture without words; pantomime; dumb-show.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being dumb; muteness; silence; inability to speak.
- n. the quality of being mentally slow and limited
- dumb + -ness (Wiktionary)
“But the third, and most pernicious, level of dumbness is its pro-cyclical neo-Hooverite nature.”
“We Americans are now in survival mode, backs to the wall thinking about necessities not luxuries and realizing that our stupidity (in other words our dumbness in electing Bush, our greed, our corruption, our lack of discipline from the cars we've driven to the bonuses we've tolerated Wall Street crooks paying themselves, to the wars we went along with etc., etc.) have just about cost us everything we hold dear.”
“Some have attributed the movie's success to a new cult of dumbness, which is just plain stupid: dumb is, and ever was.”
“And what added to her dumbness was the fact that she was infinitely touched by Garth's confession; and when Jane was deeply moved speech always became difficult.”
“The dumbness might be the result of a defective structure of the mouth, or of the tongue, or a mere defective innervation of these parts; or it might result from congenital deafness, caused by some minute defect of the internal ear, which only a careful anatomist could discover.”
“The dumbness might be the result of a defective structure of the mouth, or of the tongue, or”
“Pure word dumbness: Spoken language cannot be produced clearly; but the patient can comprehend language well, can read and write.”
“And you can see this kind of dumbness coming through in this floor speech calling for a “spending freeze”:”
“And they find the smug irritation and association with "dumbness" of non-black regional language, music, dress as the put-downs they are.”
“The source of his reputed "dumbness" is, I think, the way he talks.”
‘dumbness’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for dumbness.