from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To give up, surrender, or yield (e.g. a weapon), usually by placing it on the ground.
- v. To intentionally take a fall while riding a motorcycle, in order to prevent a more serious collision.
- v. To specify, institute, enact, assert firmly, state authoritatively, establish or formulate (rules or policies).
- v. To stock, store (e.g. wine) for the future. See also lay by.
- v. To sacrifice, especially in the phrase "to lay down one's life."
- v. To lie down; to place oneself in a reclined or horizontal position, on a bed or similar, for the purpose of resting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. institute, enact, or establish
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.