from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The small projection near the center of the mammary gland containing the outlets of the milk ducts through which young mammals obtain milk from the adult female; a teat.
- n. A corresponding projection of the male breast.
- n. The rubber cap on a bottle from which a baby nurses.
- n. A pacifier for an infant.
- n. Any of various devices functioning like or resembling a nipple, especially:
- n. A regulated opening for discharging a liquid, as in a small stopcock.
- n. A pipe coupling threaded on both ends.
- n. A short extension of pipe to which a nozzle can be attached.
- n. A small projection through which grease in a grease gun can be forced into a bearing.
- n. A natural or geographic projection resembling a nipple, as a mountain crest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The projection of a mammary gland from which, on female mammals, milk is secreted.
- n. An artificial nipple (definition 1) used for bottle-feeding infants.
- n. A mechanical device through which liquids can be passed in a regulated manner.
- n. A short tube threaded at both ends, used as a connector.
- n. Any small physical protrusion, such as the lumps on the F and J keys on American keyboards.
- n. Any small physical protrusion on an automotive, a machine part or any other part that fits into a groove on another part.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The protuberance through which milk is drawn from the breast or mamma; the mammilla; a teat; a pap.
- n. The orifice at which any animal liquid, as the oil from an oil bag, is discharged.
- n. Any small projection or article in which there is an orifice for discharging a fluid, or for other purposes
- n. A pipe fitting, consisting of a short piece of pipe, usually provided with a screw thread at each end, for connecting two other fittings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A protuberance of the breast where, in the female, the galactophorous ducts discharge; a pap; a teat.
- n. The papilla by which any animal secretion is discharged.
- n. Anything that projects like a nipple, as the projecting piece in a gun or a cartridge upon which the percussion-cap is placed to be struck by the hammer, the mouthpiece of a nursing-bottle, a nipple-shield, etc.
- n. A reducing-coupling for hose or for joining a hose to a pipe.
- n. A hollow piece projecting from and forming a passage connecting with the interior of a metal pipe, used for the attachment of a faucet or cock.
- To furnish with a nipple or nipples; cover with nipple-like protuberances.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a flexible cap on a baby's feeding bottle or pacifier
- n. the small projection of a mammary gland
From obsolete neble, diminutive of neb.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From earlier neple, nypil, *neble, believed to be a diminutive of nib, neb ("tip, point"), equivalent to nib + -le. (Wiktionary)