from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who imposes tasks, especially burdensome or laborious ones.
- n. A source of burden or responsibility: The profession of medicine is a stern taskmaster.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who supervises workers, especially one who imposes hard or burdensome work.
- n. A source of hard work or responsibility.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who imposes a task, or burdens another with labor; one whose duty is to assign tasks; an overseer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who imposes a task or burdens with labor; one whose function it is to assign tasks to others; an overseer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who imposes hard or continuous work
From task + master. (Wiktionary)