from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large arboreal lemur (Indri indri) of Madagascar, having large eyes and a rudimentary tail.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the largest living lemurs (Indri indri).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The babakoto, Indris or Lichanotus brevicaudatus, a lemurine quadruped of Madagascar, belonging to the subfamily Indrisinæ and family Lemuridæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large short-tailed lemur of Madagascar having thick silky fur in black and white and fawn
* The Indri Indri indri is of course not a sifaka, but it is a close relative, and a large one given that it reaches 70 cm in total length and 7.5 kg.
CORWIN (voice-over): Out of the 100-plus species of lemurs living in Madagascar, the indri is the largest and can weigh as much as 20 pounds.
The lemurs of Madagascar vary widely, from the tiny Madame Berthe's mouse lemur (Microcebus berthae), which, at only 30 grams, is the world's smallest primate, to the indri (Indri indri, EN), which leaps from tree to tree similar to the airborne kangaroo.
Bulldozers are busy establishing Sherritt's four-billion-dollar nickel mine - one of the world's five largest mining projects - and building a pipeline, ripping through the shrivelling natural habitat of the endangered indri lemur.
The lemurs and other primates at far right are among the best here: there's an aye-aye, a sifaka, indri and others.
CORWIN (voice-over): But it is only here, in these remote rain forests in eastern Madagascar, that the indri exist.
Analamazaotra is a special reserve, and what makes it special is the indri.
She and another primate ecologist decided to go down to that famous village, Perinet, for a glimpse of that famous big lemur, the indri.
The significance of the song is an unsolved mystery, one of many in connection with the indri.
And the song itself, according to that hypothesis about territorial spacing, may be a tool for ensuring that indri groups are few and far between.