from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a pair of long flat runners of plastic, metal, or wood that curve upward in front and may be attached to a boot for gliding or traveling over snow.
- n. A water ski.
- n. Something that is used as a runner on a vehicle: a helicopter with skis for landing on snow and ice.
- intransitive v. To travel or glide on skis, especially as a sport.
- transitive v. To travel or glide over on skis: ski a mountain slope.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a pair of long flat runners designed for gliding over snow.
- v. To move on skis.
- v. To travel over (a slope etc.) on skis; travel on skis at (a place), especially as a sport.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long, flat, narrow runner made of wood, plastic or metal, curved upwards in front, having a fitting allowing it to be attached to the foot, and used for gliding or sliding over snow. Commonly used in the plural, to designate the pair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as skee.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. move along on skis
- n. narrow wood or metal or plastic runners used in pairs for gliding over snow
We use the term ski mask, which may not be poetic but does at least have the virtue of clarity.
I have finally got to page 1 for google for the term ski holidays which is what I have been after.
I to at first thought he was a little psycho for fishing off of that thing until I met him at the boat ramp one day and realized that his ski is the absolute biggest one I have ever seen.
Older viewers will happily recall that for them "ski" is an acronym for spending the kids 'inheritance.
Serbian soccer supporters, some dressed in ski-masks, rioted by setting off fireworks, throwing flares onto the field and cutting up goal nets.
Heavenly Mountain ski resort plans upgrades despite recession
Heavenly Mountain ski resort plans upgrades despite recession - USATODAY. com
At the backcountry Silverton Mountain ski area in a snow-filled gulch sits a perfectly sculpted, 500-foot long, 22-foot deep halfpipe.
There were some unlucky things happening with my other races, but I really feel like sometimes, in ski racing especially, luck just has to be on your side.
If I ever get back into saltwater fishing again the jet ski is the way I'm heading.