from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Warlike or hostile in manner or temperament. See Synonyms at belligerent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Warlike in nature; aggressive; hostile.
- adj. Showing or having the impulse to be combative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inclined to war or contention; warlike; pugnacious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Inclined or tending to war; warlike; pugnacious: as, bellicose sentiments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or showing a ready disposition to fight
Middle English, from Latin bellicōsus, from bellicus, of war, from bellum, war.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English, from Latin bellicosus (Wiktionary)