from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An official list of persons in the employ of the US government.
- noun A book listing the names of socially prominent people.
- noun A blank notebook with blue covers in which to write the answers to examination questions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- engraving A parliamentary publication, so called from its blue paper covers.
- The United States official “Biennial Register.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a blue booklet used in universities for writing examinations
- noun a report published by the British government; bound in blue
- noun a register of persons who are socially prominent
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word blue book.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.