American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time” ( David Cannadine).
- adj. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
- adj. Usage Problem Unaware or uninformed; naive.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not ingenuous; not open, frank, or candid; uncandid; insincere: as, a disingenuous person; a disingenuous answer.
- adj. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignity; mean; unworthy; fake or deceptive.
- adj. Not ingenuous; not frank or open; uncandid; unworthily or meanly artful.
- adj. Assuming a pose of naivete to make a point or for deception.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not noble; unbecoming true honor or dignity; mean; unworthy.
- adj. Not ingenuous; wanting in noble candor or frankness; not frank or open; uncandid; unworthily or meanly artful.
- adj. not straightforward or candid; giving a false appearance of frankness
- dis- + ingenuous (Wiktionary)
“The entire process is intellectually disingenuous from the outset.”
“I think, Josh, it's plain disingenuous to call COLAs "raises.”
“Maybe he needs to find a dictionary and look up the word disingenuous next.”
“That said, the word disingenuous comes to mind when Cube starts waxing poetic about the tragedy of inner-city violence.”
“This, I am afraid, can only be described as disingenuous and stupid.”
“That opponent would be characterized as the disingenuous candidate who, if elected, would continue politics-as-usual despite the words he spoke.”
“For her to cry about not being able to have guests is just plain disingenuous.”
“In each case and many more, language itself is attacked, exploited, degraded and debased by those motivated to cloak a disingenuous agenda.”
“Tory 'it gets better' video called 'disingenuous' MP who appears in video once said homosexuality was a sin The Canadian Press Posted: Oct 28, 2011 9:29 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 28, 2011 9:33 AM ET Note:CBC does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of external links.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disingenuous’.
you know that thing where the Eskimos have 50 words for snow?
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Another compilation of spelling words suitable for intermediate to advanced spellers.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Synonyms and euphemisms for lie, liar, or lying.
Looking for tweets for disingenuous.