- n. idiomatic A transient occurrence with no long-term effect.
- n. idiomatic A career notable for early success not followed by significant accomplishment.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. a failure or a poor performance, especially after a normal or auspicious start; also, a person whose initial performance appears augur success but who fails to achieve anything notable. From 4th pan, n., sense 3 -- part of a flintlock. Occasionally, the powder in the pan of a flintlock would flash without conveying the fire to the charge, and the ball would fail to be discharged. Thus, a good or even spectacular beginning that eventually achieves little came to be called a
flash in the pan.
- n. the flashing of the priming in the pan of a flintlock musket without discharging the piece; hence, sudden, spasmodic effort that accomplishes nothing.
- n. See under Flash.
- n. someone who enjoys transient success but then fails
“As for your remaining free, that's all very well to think during the interregnum, but a man without a true love is a ship without ballast, a one-tined fork, half a pair of scissors, an utter flash in the pan ....”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flash in the pan’.
hack someone off, scrape the bottom..., haul over the coals, rake over the coals, have a thin time, down one's alley, up one's alley, shoot the bull, bite the bullet, up the creek, cudgel one' brains, plain as a pikestaff and 156 more...
Culling my Favorite Words That Aren't Really Words list.
sausage fest, brick shithouse, flying spaghetti ..., velly intellesting, chinese firedrill, honkus of the bonkus, acoustic shadow, cheerily cheer up..., jeet yet, grand poobah, sticking it to th..., unbridled mirth and 270 more...
Looking for tweets for flash in the pan.