from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A cautious gambler.
- n. Slang A person regarded as petty or stingy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soldier armed with a pike, a pikeman.
- n. One who bets or gambles only with small amounts of money.
- n. A stingy person; a cheapskate.
- n. An amateur.
- n. One who refuses to go out with friends, or leaves a party early.
- n. One who pikes (quits or backs out of a promise).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tramp; a vagrant.
- n. One who makes small bets all over the lay-out. See pike, intransitive verb, 2.
- n. On the stock-exchange, a professional speculator. See the extract.
- n. One who uses a pike or pointed implement; specifically, in the United States, in ice-harvesting, one who thus controls the movement of cakes of ice.
Possibly from Piker, a poor migrant to California, after Pike County in eastern Missouri.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From pike + -er. (Wiktionary)