from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A social system whereby the state assumes primary responsibility for the welfare of its citizens, as in matters of health care, education, employment, and social security.
- n. A nation in which such a system operates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a social system in which the state takes overall responsibility for the welfare of its citizens, providing health care, education, unemployment compensation and social security
- n. a state or nation in which such a system operates
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a government that undertakes responsibility for the welfare of its citizens through programs in public health and public housing and pensions and unemployment compensation etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.