from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being in the charge of a guardian.
- n. Custody; guardianship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being a ward of someone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office of a ward or keeper; care and protection of a ward; guardianship; right of guardianship.
- n. The state of begin under a guardian; pupilage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office of a ward or guardian; guardianship; care and protection of a ward; right of guardianship; hence, the feudal tenure by which the lord claimed the custody of the body and custody and profits of the lands of the infant heir of his deceased tenant.
- n. The state or condition of a ward; pupilage.
ward + -ship (Wiktionary)