from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A net or lace with a simple pattern of squares.
- n. Variant of fillet.
- v. Variant of fillet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A narrow strip of ribbon, material or meat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In decorative art, a thin line forming part of a design or ornamenting an edge or the like; a fillet: as, a filet in gold in bookbinding; a filet of ruby luster on a majolica vase. See fillet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. decorate with a lace of geometric designs
- n. a boneless steak cut from the tenderloin of beef
- n. a longitudinal slice or boned side of a fish
- n. lace having a square mesh
- v. cut into filets
Pan cooking a thin filet like this little red snapper is the way to go, and there are a few cooking suggestions near the end.
The dish features a beef tender loin filet roasted with peppercorn crust and topped with sauteed mushrooms and a ruby port wine reduction.
You can crap on a silver platter, call it filet mingon, serve it up to your friends and all take a bite.
One of the foremost clubs in London one day changed its cook; and its members were astonished to find that the steak which had formerly been served to them under the name filet de boeuf was now always announced as a Chateaubriand.
"Other than the fact that I've paid $30 to be teased by this speck of beef you call a filet and three-quarters of my plate is taken up by a cheesy dish that smells suspiciously like a dead horse's yeast-infected cooter ... everything's hunky dory, Ace."
People today act like a filet is the only edible part of a cow.
I also thought the filet was a very good size, I would say about 6 to 8 oz.
Pork tenderloin, like its relative the beef tenderloin sometimes called filet mignon, is among the leanest cuts of meat.
Two meat entrees also scored: a miso-glazed Berkshire pork chop with sweet and sour peaches, and a petite teres steak a cut best described as filet mignon with flavor in a tomato vinaigrette with a succotash of corn, cipollini and fava beans, and salt-roasted fingerling potatoes.
The gnocci that came with the filet was a little bit bland - but the plate was still clean at the end of the meal.