from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that shoots with a bow and arrow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who shoots an arrow from a bow or a bolt from a crossbow.
- adj. comparative form of arch: more arch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bowman, one skilled in the use of the bow and arrow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who uses a bow; a bowman; specifically, in medieval Europe, one who shot with the longbow (which see) and shaft, as distinguished from an arbalister or crossbowman.
- n. Same as archer-fish.
- n. The constellation Sagittarius.
- n. A Persian gold coin, the daric, bearing the figure of an archer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Sagittarius
- n. a person who is expert in the use of a bow and arrow
- n. the ninth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about November 22 to December 21
The archer is not responsible; instead he has channeled spirituality in a manner ignorant of the confines of his self, and indifferent to the external effect.
From a laudable desire to assert the dignity of his theme, Procopius defends the soldiers of his own time against the morose critics, who confined that respectable name to the heavy-armed warriors of antiquity, and maliciously observed, that the word archer is introduced by Homer 8 as a term of contempt.
The second movement was called the archer because it separated the arms in a bow-stretching action.
The archer is a past master, but also a masterpiece, of devastating stillness.
The 1st apperance splash of the archer was a direct copy of my friend's character concept splash.
Iyarri Anatolian god of war and plagues, known as an archer “Lord of the Bow”, similar to Greek god Apollo.
He could see that the archer was a man of honor and fairness.
For example, he left out the fact that the archer was his ex-girlfriend who, by the way, was on Portland State's archery team and had a restraining order against her ex.
The archer was a shorter, lighter man, a cagier fighter than the subcommander.
The archer was a Highlander with his legs wrapped around the main spar at the head of the vessel's mast.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.