from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A head covering of hard material, such as leather, metal, or plastic, worn by football players, firefighters, construction workers, motorcyclists, and others to protect the head.
- n. The headgear with a glass mask worn by deep-sea divers.
- n. A pith helmet; a topi.
- n. A head covering, such as a balaclava, that is shaped like a helmet.
- n. A piece of armor, usually made of metal, designed to protect the head.
- n. Botany The hood-shaped sepal or corolla of some flowers.
- transitive v. To provide with or put on a helmet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A protective head covering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A defensive covering for the head. See casque, headpiece, morion, sallet, and Illust. of beaver.
- n. The representation of a helmet over shields or coats of arms, denoting gradations of rank by modifications of form.
- n. A helmet-shaped hat, made of cork, felt, metal, or other suitable material, worn as part of the uniform of soldiers, firemen, etc., also worn in hot countries as a protection from the heat of the sun.
- n. That which resembles a helmet in form, position, etc.
- n. The upper part of a retort.
- n. The hood-formed upper sepal or petal of some flowers, as of the monkshood or the snapdragon.
- n. A naked shield or protuberance on the top or fore part of the head of a bird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A defensive cover for the head.
- n. () In present use, a stiff military hat of domed or pointed form, sometimes of metal or stiffened with bars of metal so as to afford defense against a sword-cut.
- n. A hat, usually of leather and having a vizor and broad neckguard, worn by firemen.
- n. A hat of similar form worn by policemen, or by civilians for any purpose, especially in not climates. Such hats are usually of felt or pith, so formed as to have space for ventilation around the head or openings for ventilation above.
- n. The headpiece of a suit of submarine armor. It is usually formed of sheetmetal and leather, and is fitted over the head and shoulders. It is provided with thick glass windows for the eyes and with pipes for air. See submarine, armor, under armor.
- n. A havelock used by anglers, with a projection in front of the face that can be covered by a netting or veil as a protection against insects.
- n. In heraldry, the representation of a helmet, set above the escutcheon and seeming to support the armorial crest. Distinctions of rank are indicated by the metal, the number of bars in the vizor, and the position.
- n. Same as helm
- n. In botany, same as galea, 1 .
- n. The upper part of a retort.
- n. In entomology, the galea of an insect's maxilla.
- n. plural A breed of small, fancy pigeons which have a white body and the tail and top of head black or red. The name is given in allusion to this cap or helmet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a protective headgear made of hard material to resist blows
- n. armor plate that protects the head
Made popular by the summer blockbuster hit, Star Wars the Clone Wars, this helmet is a replica of one of the helmets worn by the clone troopers from this film.
Thanks for not saying that wearing a helmet is the best way to be safer.
I agree the balaclava helmet is a great piece of kit, not only to be used in relations to crimes.
That cool black pod you use to put on your helmet is the perfect place!
And I ‘m worried by the tin helmet & mankini combo, it’s quite distractiong.
This embossed, etched, and gilded steel close helmet is attributed to German armourer Kolman Helmschmid.
The helmet is a basketball painted green, and the fur was salvaged from a stuffed toy.
Her reflective demeanor gave way to one of purpose, and Jeanine collected gloves and her helmet from a crew member, waved at the nervous and fidgeting crowd and slipped into the cockpit of The Spirit.
The Clone Trooper helmet is already receiving rave reviews from satisfied customers.
Can you see through the Master chief replica helmet from the legendary pack for halo 3?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.