from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
- adj. Usage Problem His, her, or its: "It is fatal for anyone who writes to think of their sex” ( Virginia Woolf). See Usage Notes at he1, they.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- pro. Belonging to, from, of, or relating to, them.
- pro. Belonging to someone of unspecified gender.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- prep. The possessive case of the personal pronoun they.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See they.
Middle English, from Old Norse theira, theirs.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)