from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
- n. The mind or brain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The head, particularly the top or crown.
- n. Wit, cleverness, cognitive abilities.
- n. Alternative spelling of pâté. (finely-ground paste of meat, fish, etc.)
- n. The interior body, or non-rind portion of cheese, described by its texture, density, and color.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The head of a person; the top, or crown, of the head.
- n. The skin of a calf's head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Weak and sickly.
- n. The crown or top of the head, whether of a person or of an animal; in general, the head; the poll; the noddle: usually employed in a trivial or derogatory sense, like noddle, etc.
- n. The skin of a calf's head. Imp. Dict.
- n. Wit; cleverness; “brains”; “head.”
- n. In the fur trade, the fur from a black patch on the head of the wild rabbit.
- n. A badger.
- n. The flesh split obtained in splitting or leveling a side of leather.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the top of the head
- n. liver or meat or fowl finely minced or ground and variously seasoned
Ramsay de Give for The Wall Street Journal The Canard Saucisson, duck sausage with a layer of country pate, is served with red wine mustard.
Pork roll and pate is a pretty standard banh mi ($5), but their version also throws in this Vietnamese “salami” which they import from California.
I use it in pate choux all the time to get more impressive volume with a crisp texture.
I make a smoked marlin pate that my guests love, and it is quite like yours.
Although melted cheese works quite nicely, liver pate is not a good topping for waffles; in fact, I might even be moved to use such harsh words as nauseating and inedible.
Once, indeed, when I was down from a blow on the pate from a Spanish axe, they rushed forward and kept my assailants at bay until rescue came.
Whenever popular cartoonist Zapiro (Jonathan Shapiro) sketches his likeness, Zuma’s pate is faithfully anointed with a shower head
I really do enjoy liver, just haven't fixed it in years and a pate is a joy.
I've had it as pate, which is apparently not the way connoisseurs eat it.
I think I like the idea of pate more than I like the taste of it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.