from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having an ardent desire or unbounded craving; greedy: avid for adventure.
- adj. Marked by keen interest and enthusiasm: an avid sports fan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. enthusiastic; passionate; longing eagerly; eager; greedy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Longing eagerly for; eager; greedy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Eager; greedy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by active interest and enthusiasm
- adj. (often followed by `for') ardently or excessively desirous
Latin avidus, from avēre, to desire.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French avide, from Latin avidus ("eager, desirous; greedy"), from aveō ("wish, desire, long for, crave"). (Wiktionary)