from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An arc of spectral colors, usually identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet, that appears in the sky opposite the sun as a result of the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain or mist.
- n. A similar arc or band, as one produced by a prism or by iridescence.
- n. A graded display of colors.
- n. An illusory hope: chasing the rainbow of overnight success.
- n. A diverse assortment or collection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A multicoloured arch in the sky, produced by prismatic refraction of light within droplets of rain in the air.
- n. Any prismatic refraction of light showing a spectrum of colours.
- n. A wide assortment; a varied multitude.
- n. An illusion, mirage
- n. A curveball, particularly a slow one
- n. In Texas hold 'em or Omaha hold 'em, a flop that contains three different suits
- adj. Multicoloured.
- adj. Made up of several races or ethnicities, or (more broadly) of several cultural or ideological factions.
- adj. LGBT.
- adj. Composed entirely of different suits.
- v. To pattern with many colours, like a rainbow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bow or arch exhibiting, in concentric bands, the several colors of the spectrum, and formed in the part of the hemisphere opposite to the sun by the refraction and reflection of the sun's rays in drops of falling rain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bow, or an arc of a circle, consisting of the prismatic colors, formed by the refraction and reflection of rays of light from drops of rain or vapor, appearing in the part of the heavens opposite to the sun.
- n. In heraldry, the representation of a half-ring divided into seven concentric narrow rings and arched upward, each end resting on a clump of clouds.
- n. In ornithology, a humming-bird of tho genus Diphlogena, containing two most brilliantly plumaged species, D. iris of Bolivia, and D. hesperus of Ecuador.
- n. The rainbow-fish.
- To color like a rainbow, or so brightly as to suggest the rainbow; curve over or surround, as with a rainbow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an arc of colored light in the sky caused by refraction of the sun's rays by rain
- n. an illusory hope
Middle English, from Old English rēnboga : rēn, rain + boga, bow; see bow3.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English reġnboga ("rainbow"), formed as reġn ("rain") + boga ("bow"). Cognate with Old High German reginbogo, Icelandic regnbogi and Old Norse regnbogi. (Wiktionary)