from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A diminutive of Eugene, also used as a formal male given name.
- proper n. (Can we verify(+) this sense?) Genoa.
- proper n. (Can we verify(+) this sense?) jean, denim cloth colored with Genovese blue dye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form of -gen in some words from or made after the French model, as in amphigene.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
GENE (ph) (Audience Member): Yes, Gene is my name, and I'd like to find out, if this oil turns out to be from the Deepwater Horizon, how is that going to complicate things?
For example, when I sit down with Gene, I check to see if anything is on my @Gene list - those help build my part of the agenda.
Gene comes from a Greek word meaning "to give birth to".
That is what I call Gene Pool Romanticism, the mystical glorification of blood and the rational exaltation of the whole (as opposed to the indiviudal parts that make up the whole).
I thought for a moment he was going to congratulate Alex on rejecting his proposal, which seemed tantamount to signing on for the same kind of corruption that Gene is now dead-set on fighting.
Gene is a very decent guy – hard-working to a fault, very smart.
Gene is gone … along with hanging and the birch … they wont come back … EVER …. forget about them … on January 2, 2010 at 7: 53 pm Rocco
“Gene is gone … along with hanging and the birch … they wont come back … EVER …. forget about them …”
Gene is currently finishing another book which I think he said is supposed to be about his experiences rescuing pilots.
When the amendment was turned into a law -- known as the Gene Technology Act -- it didn't say anything specific about plants.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.