from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, in, or caused by the air.
- adj. Existing or living in the air.
- adj. Reaching high into the air; lofty.
- adj. Suggestive of air, as in lightness; airy.
- adj. Unsubstantial; imaginary.
- adj. Of, for, or by means of aircraft: aerial photography.
- adj. Botany Growing or borne above the ground or water: aerial roots.
- n. A radio antenna, especially one suspended in or extending into the air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, in, or from the air; atmospheric
- adj. ethereal
- n. A device for receiving or transmitting radio, television signals etc.
- n. A dance move involving one or both feet leaving the ground.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the air, or atmosphere; inhabiting or frequenting the air; produced by or found in the air; performed in the air.
- adj. Consisting of air; resembling, or partaking of the nature of air. Hence: Unsubstantial; unreal.
- adj. Rising aloft in air; high; lofty.
- adj. Growing, forming, living, or existing in the air, as opposed to growing or existing in earth or water, or underground.
- adj. Light as air; ethereal.
- adj. operating or operated overhead especially on elevated cables.
- adj. operating or moving in the air.
- n. a pass to a receiver downfield from the passer.
- n. a metallic wire, rod, or combination of rods connected to an electronic device, designed to send or receive radio or television signals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging or pertaining to the air or atmosphere; inhabiting or frequenting the air; existing or happening in the air; produced by or in the air: as, aërial regions; aërial perspective; aërial songsters; aërial ascents.
- Consisting of air; partaking of the nature of air; airy; hence, unsubstantial; visionary: as, aërial beings; aërial fancies; an aërial castle.
- Reaching far into the air; high; lofty; elevated: as, aërial spires; an aërial flight.
- Possessed of a light and graceful beauty; ethereal.
- In botany, growing in the air, and independently of the soil, as epiphytes, or the adventitious roots of some trees: as, aërial orchids or roots.
- A name sometimes applied to systems of transportation by cars suspended from a rail or rope above them.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. existing or living or growing or operating in the air
- n. an electrical device that sends or receives radio or television signals
- adj. characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; as impalpable or intangible as air
- n. a pass to a receiver downfield from the passer
Electronic imaging and laser guidance had changed the term aerial bombardment into precision air attack .
The mosque administration condemned what it called aerial surveillance of the mosque and spraying of some gases.
I was quite patient; the grand open country all round me offered lessons of inestimable value in what we call aerial perspective.
The North Korean military accused Japan this week of conducting spying missions and warned that it would "not tolerate even a bit" of what it calls aerial reconnaissance by Tokyo, the South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.
Flying Cross for heroism while participating in aerial flight during operation JUST CAUSE.
************************ #2 Staff Sergeant Randall L. Lusk is awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight during operation Desert Storm.
Consider, for example, that until the end of the 20th century hijacking an airliner was defined as "aerial piracy."
THE DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS: Awarded for extreme valor or achievement while in aerial flight.
Kate's position is guaranteed; Canada wants her on board as an expert in aerial zoology.
“The Syrians have invested so much in aerial defences, especially against choppers and the Americans go in in daylight and nothing is being done.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.