from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.
- adj. Of or designating the biogeographic region that includes Asia south of the Himalaya Mountains and the islands of the Malay Archipelago.
- adj. Lustrous and valuable: oriental pearls.
- adj. Of or relating to a genuine or superior gem: an oriental ruby.
- adj. Relating to or designating corundum that resembles another stone in color.
- n. Often Offensive An Asian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. eastern, of the east, of or relating to the Orient especially Asiatic, but most commonly to the Far East.
- adj. , capitalized: a zoögeographical region of southeast Asia.
- adj. of orient pearls, relating to orient lustre in a pearl
- n. Oriental (capitalized) native of the East, or Asiatic, native, resident of the Orient
- n. A person from the Orient, or with ancestry from the Orient.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the orient or east; eastern; concerned with the East or Orientalism; -- opposed to
- n. A native or inhabitant of the Orient or some Eastern part of the world; an Asiatic.
- n. Eastern Christians of the Greek rite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the orient or east; situated in or proceeding from the east; eastern: as, oriental seas or countries. Also orient.
- Of superior quality; precious; valuable; possessing orient qualities: applied to gems as a mark of excellence: opposed to occidental, which applies to the less valuable kinds.
- [cap. or lowercase] Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the East, or Eastern, especially Asiatic, countries; hence, exuberant; profuse; sumptuous; gorgeous; magnificent.
- In astrology, rising between the fourth house and the mid-heaven: applied to the planets.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of some eastern part of the world; an Asiatic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of an Oriental race; the term is regarded as offensive by Asians (especially by Asian Americans)
- adj. denoting or characteristic of countries of Asia
From Latin oriens ("east") (Wiktionary)