from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lying with the front or face downward.
- adj. Having a tendency; inclined: paper that is prone to yellowing; children who are prone to mischief.
- adv. In a prone manner: The patient was lying prone on the bed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lying face downward; prostrate (Wikipedia).
- adj. Having a downward inclination or slope.
- adj. Shooting from a lying down position.
- adj. Predisposed, liable, inclined.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Bending forward; inclined; not erect.
- adj. Prostrate; flat; esp., lying with the face down; -- opposed to
- adj. Headlong; running downward or headlong.
- adj. Sloping, with reference to a line or surface; declivous; inclined; not level.
- adj. Inclined; propense; disposed; -- applied to the mind or affections, usually in an ill sense. Followed by to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Bending forward with the face downward; inclined; lying flat; not erect.
- Lying with the face or front downward.
- Specifically, in anatomy: Lying face downward; stretched at full length on the belly.
- Lying with the palm downward; pronated, as the hand. In both senses, the opposite of supine.
- Moving or sloping downward; descending; inclined.
- Inclined by disposition or natural tendency; propense; disposed: usually in an ill sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lying face downward
- adj. having a tendency (to); often used in combination
I. ii.188 (19,2) [There is a prone and speechless dialect] I can scarcely tell what signification to give to the word _prone_.
The term prone to in [e] mean s having a tendency to, so it is correct.
"At the very least, shouldn't a writer try to shield the kettle of language from further cracks by knowing the meanings of the words he uses?" he asks, querying Cunningham's choice of the word "prone".
It doesn't act like being drama prone is all a "girl thing."
I saw a report on CNN where a woman was rescued from being trapped in collapsed roof and wall debris for two days and what struck me was her odd calm as she was carried prone from a certain, crushing death — as well as her matter-of-fact confidence in a God that Robertson says her people forsook ...
I would recommend them to anyone with oily or partially oily skin prone to breakouts or to anyone seeking camouflage for minor imperfections, scarring, or discoloration.
As a shooter shoots in prone position you can actually see a shockwave travel down there body to their feet and back up.
I remember I was in prone position pounding the 8, 9 and 10 ring when one of the Coaches leaned down repositioned my body and gave me some tips along with a dry fire lesson.
He remain prone on the field for several minutes, but could be seen moving his feet, before he was placed on a stretcher and taken from the field on a cart.
Saturday night I watched a Gentleman who used a Military 1 ¼ perfectly in prone position to take a Cow Elk at 300 yards.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.