from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A descending slope, as in a road.
- n. A turn or trend downward.
- n. A decline, as in fortune, status, or condition: a neighborhood on the downgrade.
- transitive v. To lower the status or salary of.
- transitive v. To minimize the importance, value, or reputation of. See Synonyms at decry, demote.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reduction of a rating, as a financial or credit rating.
- v. To place lower in position.
- v. To 'dumb down', reduce in complexity, or remove unnecessary parts.
- v. to reduce the official estimate of a storm's intensity.
- v. To revert software back to an older version.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. rate lower; lower in value or esteem
- n. the property possessed by a slope or surface that descends
So the wealthy may have to downgrade from the Mercedes to the Lexus.
Fitch Ratings downgraded Ireland's long-term foreign - and local-currency issuer default ratings to A+ from AA -, while keeping a negative outlook, which means a further downgrade is possible.
According to Alec Phillips, a Goldman Sachs political economist based in Washington, the increased momentum toward a deal "reduces the risk of the near-term downgrade of the U.S. sovereign rating."
I should have guessed there was going to be a problem when I called to downgrade and said I wanted to downgrade from the Triple Play and the customer service rep said Okay we can do that for you.
He called the downgrade an "irresponsible move" that may "have spillover effects" such as higher borrowing costs for home buyers, credit-card holders, car buyers, and state and local governments.
In a statement, an S&P spokesman said the firm had signaled in August that the tobacco bonds could face a near-term downgrade.
Fitch Ratings said Wednesday Portugal needs financial support and a "timely and credible" economic program from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund to avoid a likely near-term downgrade to its credit rating.
Is the Remington x-mark pro triggers a downgrade from the old remington triggers?
The numbers will almost certainly reflect a downgrade from the steady growth scenario the officials envisioned in forecasts released in July.
I just read Feldstein's address to the AEA conference, Jan-7-9, and must personally again downgrade Private Accounts.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.