American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- abbr. candela.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chemical symbol for cadmium.
- n. In anatomy, an abbreviation used in vertebral formulas for caudal, or coccygeal: as, cd. 12 (that is, 12 caudal vertebræ).
- An abbreviation of the French carte de visite (visiting-card).
- n. metrology Symbol for the candela, an SI unit of luminous intensity.
- n. A Roman numeral representing four hundred (400).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the chemical suymbol for cadmium, a metallic element of atomic number 48.
- n. abbr. the abbreviation for the candela, the basic unit of luminous intensity adopted under the System International d'Unites.
- n. an acronym for compact disk, a disk-shaped recording of binary data that is smaller than a phonograph record, and is recorded and played back by a compact disk player, an electronic device containing a laser. The term is also used generically to refer to the medium as a data storage medium.
- n. informal a compact disk player.
- n. an acronym for certificate of deposit, a debt instrument issued by a bank for a fixed time period, usually paying interest.
- adj. being one hundred more than three hundred
- n. a debt instrument issued by a bank; usually pays interest
- n. a soft bluish-white ductile malleable toxic bivalent metallic element; occurs in association with zinc ores
- n. the basic unit of luminous intensity adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites; equal to 1/60 of the luminous intensity per square centimeter of a black body radiating at the temperature of 2,046 degrees Kelvin
- n. a digitally encoded recording on an optical disk that is smaller than a phonograph record; played back by a laser
“This cd is the soundtrack to the final William Hartnell Doctor Who story (and the first appearance of the Cybermen), and is short, clocking in at only 20 minutes.”
“I'm not going to be able to respond to it until I get home - because that's where the cd is and I want to have it on hand to give him particulars about it.”
“The cd is called Baby Go To Sleep and you can Google it if you dare.”
“The main purpose of the sales page for your cd is to sell the cd.”
“Michael and george michael starts making a builder company at mexico named BLUTOcia and it's doing really well but then Lucille appears running from prison and everybody starts to try to make them comeback ... ok i don't know what else: s smokey mcfun anything that involves dr funke's 100% natural good time family band solution, a new gob and franklin cd, the big yellow joint, and multiple "ive made a huge mistake"'s.”
“I am surprised that no one seems to see the link between the crack-down on filesharing and the decline in cd sales.”
“You think Zeppelin releasing a Greatest Hits cd is the complete literal opposite of their hard-line stance against people listening to their songs individually instead of in album form?”
“Also, did I mention that the Eagles cd is available only at Wal-Mart?”
“Signed up with Sprint for EVDO service, got home and the cd is windoze only, macs awesomely have to go to a website for instructions and download.”
“- Select âadvancedâ from the menu âjoin cd tracksâ (if this is not available, double check that your tracks are in order).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cd’.
Abbreviations & symbolic numbers
Inspired by the happiness of Christmas and grantbarret's list, Gifts I Do Not Wish to Receive
Words we have to use all the time, but that doesn't mean they sound good. In fact, they kind of suck. See also this list.
Name Sym # Wt
actinium Ac 89 (227)
aluminum Al 13 26.98
americium Am 95 (243)
antimony Sb 51 121.7
argon Ar 18 39.94
arsenic As 33 74.92
Unusual, arcane, or obscure units of measure
Stuff you burn
Borrowed from uselessness and lifted from T-rex and Utahraptor
Looking for tweets for cd.