from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upright post in the framework of a wall for supporting sheets of lath, wallboard, or similar material.
- n. A small knob, nail head, or rivet fixed in and slightly projecting from a surface.
- n. A small ornamental button mounted on a short post for insertion through an eyelet, as on a dress shirt.
- n. A buttonlike earring mounted on a slender post, as of gold or steel, for wearing in a pierced earlobe.
- n. Any of various protruding pins or pegs in machinery, used mainly as a support or pivot.
- n. One of a number of small metal cleats embedded in a snow tire to increase traction on slippery or snowy roads.
- n. A metal crosspiece used as a brace in a link, as in a chain cable.
- transitive v. To provide with or construct with studs or a stud.
- transitive v. To set with studs or a stud: stud a bracelet with rubies.
- transitive v. To be scattered over: Daisies studded the meadow.
- n. A group of animals, especially horses, kept for breeding.
- n. A male animal, such as a stallion, that is kept for breeding.
- n. A stable or farm where these animals are kept.
- n. Slang A man regarded as virile and sexually active.
- n. Slang A man regarded as attractive.
- n. Games Stud poker.
- idiom at stud Available or offered for breeding. Used of animals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A male animal, especially a stud horse (stallion), kept for breeding.
- n. A female animal, especially a studmare (broodmare), kept for breeding.
- n. An animal (usually livestock) that has been registered and is retained for breeding.
- n. Place (e.g. ranch) which keeps such animal(s)
- n. A sexually attractive male; also a lover in great demand.
- n. A small object that protrudes from something.
- n. A small round earring.
- n. A vertical post.
- n. A type of poker where an individual cannot throw cards away and some of her cards are exposed (also stud poker).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A collection of breeding horses and mares, or the place where they are kept; also, a number of horses kept for a racing, riding, etc.
- n. A stem; a trunk.
- n. An upright scanting, esp. one of the small uprights in the framing for lath and plaster partitions, and furring, and upon which the laths are nailed.
- n. A kind of nail with a large head, used chiefly for ornament; an ornamental knob; a boss.
- n. An ornamental button of various forms, worn in a shirt front, collar, wristband, or the like, not sewed in place, but inserted through a buttonhole or eyelet, and transferable.
- n. A short rod or pin, fixed in and projecting from something, and sometimes forming a journal.
- n. A stud bolt.
- n. An iron brace across the shorter diameter of the link of a chain cable.
- transitive v. To adorn with shining studs, or knobs.
- transitive v. To set with detached ornaments or prominent objects; to set thickly, as with studs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To furnish with or support by studs, or upright props.
- To set with or as with studs.
- To set with protuberant objects of any kind; scatter over with separate things rising above the surface: as, a bay studded with islands.
- To lie scattered over the surface of; be spread prominently about in.
- n. A post; an upright prop or support; specifically, one of the small beams or scantlings in a building, of the height of a single story, which, with the laths nailed upon them, form the walls of the different rooms. See cut under siding.
- n. The stem, trunk, or stock of a tree or shrub.
- n. A transverse piece of cast-iron inserted in each link of a chain cable to prop the sides apart and strengthen it. See cut under chain.
- n. A nail, boss, knob, or protuberance affixed to a surface, especially as an ornament.
- n. A piece in the form of a boss or knob for use as a button or fastener, or in some other way.
- n. A number of horses kept for any purpose, especially for breeding or sporting.
- n. The place where a stud is kept, especially for breeding; a stud-farm.
- n. A stallion, especially one kept for service in breeding; a stud-horse.
- n. Dogs kept for breeding; a kennel.
- n. Middle English forms of stead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ornament consisting of a circular rounded protuberance (as on a vault or shield or belt)
- n. a man who is virile and sexually active
- v. provide with or construct with studs
- n. adult male horse kept for breeding
- n. an upright in house framing
- v. scatter or intersperse like dots or studs
- n. poker in which each player receives hole cards and the remainder are dealt face up; bets are placed after each card is dealt
There is probably no one at the olympic games who better fulfills the term stud and then yesterday he went on to win his first individual gold only to have to swim against Michael Phelps 29 minutes later and he still had a good race!
"The dress code policy allows for a religious exemption, and I explained to the principal and various school officials how my daughter's nose stud is essential to the expression of our family's religious values."
It's an impressive departure from previous TV teens who have struggled with their sexuality (the tennis stud is violently overcompensating to appear hetero, rather than bursting out of the closet with a heavily hyped kiss), but something went down last night that just wasn't right.
Perhaps they have gotten complacent by endlessly repeating their mantra that the team is built around their twin stud defensemen, Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger, but there has to be more to it than that.
The Patriots added ex-New York Jet linebacker Victor Hobson and a notable rookie in stud Jerod Mayo.
But he will live to race another day and probably survive to a ripe old age in stud in some green pasture.
He is a sizzling Latin stud who's incredibly skilled with his hands.
For true performance, cellulose or any of the foams are the only high-performance materials in stud wall construction.
The front sling swivel stud is on the barrel rather than the stock.
Now he hits the call stud without a moment's hesitation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.