from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A narcotic, especially an addictive narcotic.
- n. Informal Narcotics considered as a group.
- n. Informal An illicit drug, especially marijuana.
- n. A narcotic preparation used to stimulate a racehorse.
- n. Informal A stupid person; a dolt.
- n. Informal Factual information, especially of a private nature.
- n. Chemistry An absorbent or adsorbent material used in certain manufacturing processes, such as the nitroglycerin used in making dynamite.
- n. A type of lacquer formerly used to protect, waterproof, and tauten the cloth surfaces of airplane wings.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See cola1.
- n. Lower Northern U.S. Syrup or sweet sauce that is poured on ice cream.
- transitive v. Informal To administer a narcotic to: was doped up for the operation.
- transitive v. Informal To add a narcotic to: They doped his drink before robbing him.
- transitive v. Informal To administer a performance-enhancing substance to (an athlete).
- transitive v. Informal To subject (an athlete) to blood doping.
- transitive v. Informal To figure out (a puzzle, for example).
- transitive v. Informal To make a rough plan of: doped out our proposal on scratch paper.
- transitive v. Electronics To treat (a semiconductor) with a dopant.
- intransitive v. Informal To take narcotics or a performance-enhancing substance.
- intransitive v. Informal To engage in blood doping.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any viscous liquid or paste, such as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
- n. An absorbent material used to hold a liquid.
- n. Any varnish used to coat a part, such as an airplane wing or a hot-air balloon in order to waterproof, strengthen, etc.
- n. Any narcotic or similar drug which produces euphoria or satisfies an addiction; particularly heroin, although amphetamine, methamphetamine,
- n. Any illicit & opioid drug.
- n. Information.
- n. A stupid person.
- v. To affect with drugs.
- v. To treat with dope (lubricant, etc.).
- v. To add a dopant such as arsenic to (a pure semiconductor such as silicon).
- v. To use drugs.
- adj. Great, amazing or extraordinary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as of opium for medicinal purposes, of grease for a lubricant, etc.
- n. Any preparation, as of opium, used to stupefy or, in the case of a race horse, to stimulate.
- n. An absorbent material; esp., in high explosives, the sawdust, infusorial earth, mica, etc., mixed with nitroglycerin to make a damp powder (dynamite, etc.) less dangerous to transport, and ordinarily explosive only by suitable fulminating caps.
- n. Information concerning the previous performances of race horses, or other facts concerning them which may be of assistance in judging of their chances of winning future races; similar information concerning other sports; by extension, any information not generally known, especially when coming from an inside source.
- n. an ignorant or stupid person.
- transitive v. To treat or affect with dope;
- transitive v. To give stupefying drugs to; to drug.
- transitive v. To administer a stimulant to (a horse) to increase his speed. It is a serious offense against the laws of racing.
- transitive v. To judge or guess; to predict the result of, as by the aid of dope.
- transitive v. to impregnate with a dopant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any thick liquid, as a thick sauce, thick gruel, or other semi-fluid or pasty thing for eating. Specifically
- n. A thick pasty lubricant; specifically, axle-grease.
- n. . Any absorbent material, as cotton-waste or sand, used to absorb and hold a lubricant or other liquid.
- n. Opium, especially the thick treacle-like preparation used in opium-smoking.
- n. Any drug, such as opium, laudanum, morphine, cocaine, hydrate of chloral, hashish, etc., which has the property of inducing sleep or of stupefying; a narcotic.
- n. A person under the influence of, or addicted to the use of, some dope.
- To drug; stupefy with drugs, such as ‘knock-out drops’ (hydrate of chloral), or the like: as, to dope a race-horse.
- To indulge habitually in the use of opium or other drugs either for the pleasurable sensations produced or as anesthetics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give a narcotic to
- n. an ignorant or foolish person
- n. street names for marijuana
- v. add impurities to (a semiconductor) in order to produce or modify its properties
- n. carbonated drink flavored with extract from kola nuts (`dope' is a southernism in the United States)
- v. take drugs to improve one's athletic performance
- n. slang terms for inside information
Dutch doop, sauce, from doopen, to dip.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)