from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A narcotic, especially an addictive narcotic.
- n. Informal Narcotics considered as a group.
- n. Informal An illicit drug, especially marijuana.
- n. A narcotic preparation used to stimulate a racehorse.
- n. Informal A stupid person; a dolt.
- n. Informal Factual information, especially of a private nature.
- n. Chemistry An absorbent or adsorbent material used in certain manufacturing processes, such as the nitroglycerin used in making dynamite.
- n. A type of lacquer formerly used to protect, waterproof, and tauten the cloth surfaces of airplane wings.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See cola1.
- n. Lower Northern U.S. Syrup or sweet sauce that is poured on ice cream.
- transitive v. Informal To administer a narcotic to: was doped up for the operation.
- transitive v. Informal To add a narcotic to: They doped his drink before robbing him.
- transitive v. Informal To administer a performance-enhancing substance to (an athlete).
- transitive v. Informal To subject (an athlete) to blood doping.
- transitive v. Informal To figure out (a puzzle, for example).
- transitive v. Informal To make a rough plan of: doped out our proposal on scratch paper.
- transitive v. Electronics To treat (a semiconductor) with a dopant.
- intransitive v. Informal To take narcotics or a performance-enhancing substance.
- intransitive v. Informal To engage in blood doping.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any viscous liquid or paste, such as a lubricant, used in preparing a surface.
- n. An absorbent material used to hold a liquid.
- n. Any varnish used to coat a part, such as an airplane wing or a hot-air balloon in order to waterproof, strengthen, etc.
- n. Any narcotic or similar drug which produces euphoria or satisfies an addiction; particularly heroin, although amphetamine, methamphetamine,
- n. Any illicit & opioid drug.
- n. Information.
- n. A stupid person.
- v. To affect with drugs.
- v. To treat with dope (lubricant, etc.).
- v. To add a dopant such as arsenic to (a pure semiconductor such as silicon).
- v. To use drugs.
- adj. Great, amazing or extraordinary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any thick liquid or pasty preparation, as of opium for medicinal purposes, of grease for a lubricant, etc.
- n. Any preparation, as of opium, used to stupefy or, in the case of a race horse, to stimulate.
- n. An absorbent material; esp., in high explosives, the sawdust, infusorial earth, mica, etc., mixed with nitroglycerin to make a damp powder (dynamite, etc.) less dangerous to transport, and ordinarily explosive only by suitable fulminating caps.
- n. Information concerning the previous performances of race horses, or other facts concerning them which may be of assistance in judging of their chances of winning future races; similar information concerning other sports; by extension, any information not generally known, especially when coming from an inside source.
- n. an ignorant or stupid person.
- transitive v. To treat or affect with dope;
- transitive v. To give stupefying drugs to; to drug.
- transitive v. To administer a stimulant to (a horse) to increase his speed. It is a serious offense against the laws of racing.
- transitive v. To judge or guess; to predict the result of, as by the aid of dope.
- transitive v. to impregnate with a dopant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To drug; stupefy with drugs, such as ‘knock-out drops’ (hydrate of chloral), or the like: as, to dope a race-horse.
- To indulge habitually in the use of opium or other drugs either for the pleasurable sensations produced or as anesthetics.
- n. Any thick liquid, as a thick sauce, thick gruel, or other semi-fluid or pasty thing for eating. Specifically
- n. A thick pasty lubricant; specifically, axle-grease.
- n. . Any absorbent material, as cotton-waste or sand, used to absorb and hold a lubricant or other liquid.
- n. Opium, especially the thick treacle-like preparation used in opium-smoking.
- n. Any drug, such as opium, laudanum, morphine, cocaine, hydrate of chloral, hashish, etc., which has the property of inducing sleep or of stupefying; a narcotic.
- n. A person under the influence of, or addicted to the use of, some dope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give a narcotic to
- n. an ignorant or foolish person
- n. street names for marijuana
- v. add impurities to (a semiconductor) in order to produce or modify its properties
- n. carbonated drink flavored with extract from kola nuts (`dope' is a southernism in the United States)
- v. take drugs to improve one's athletic performance
- n. slang terms for inside information
Now "dope" is not a slang word, as you may be thinking, gentle reader.
Sounds like this dope is literally at the end of his political rope.
Washed clean with bug-killin 'dope before we stitched.
He claimed that he must have time in which to steal the dope from the dispensary.
Let's face it, anyone that hangs around schools selling dope is a maggot and deserves to be treated as such.
You do your homework on them and make sure you have a good feel – Thorn traded away Eddie Griffin to get RJ & Collins, for example – but, geez, smoking dope is a real “character problem”?
November 16th, 2005 at 9: 25 pm grandpa says: this true American dope is a microcephalic idiot, NO?
The latest etiquette books say that smoking dope is proper and right if it's offered by an older family member.
Nope, for the time being, I think I'm happy with a little rope-a-dope from the candidate himself, who's holding a modest lead on points in the early rounds.
Keep your eye on the man who refers to women as the "fair sex" – he is a dealer in dope!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.