from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who resists; especially a member of a resistance movement.
- n. A thing which resists.
- adj. That which makes resistance or offers opposition.
- adj. That which is not affected or overcome by a disease, drug, chemical or atmospheric agent, extreme of temperature, etc..
- adj. Not greatly influenced by individual members of a sample.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Making resistance; resisting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Making resistance; resisting.
- n. One who or that which resists.
- n. Same as resist, 2.
- In botany, able to resist the attacks of parasites: applied to those plants which, because of some inherent property, are able to resist the attack of those parasites to which they are usually subject.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. able to tolerate environmental conditions or physiological stress
- adj. incapable of absorbing or mixing with
- adj. relating to or conferring immunity (to disease or infection)
- adj. impervious to being affected
- adj. disposed to or engaged in defiance of established authority
"Stainless" is a misnomer; it should be described as "stain resistant" because it will discolor or oxidize a bit, but I don't clean my stainless rifles and sidearms any differently (or any less thoroughly) than those of blued or Parkerized steel.
For example some people have mild sensitivities to gluten or to dairy that they are unaware of, some suffer from metabolic syndrome, some are insulin resistant, and some people take medication that effects their weight.
Solid surfacing — like Corian — was stain resistant but scratched easily in our countertop tests (Ratings available to subscribers).
Atlanta-based registered dietitian Marisa Moore, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, calls the research in resistant starch promising.
The finish is said to be stain resistant and easy to maintain.
Nasheed's moderate Maldivian Democratic Party lacks an outright majority, and coalition partners remain resistant to change.
If you frequently encounter foul weather, stainless (or, more accurately, stain resistant) steel is an asset.
Today, methicillin resistant staph is common – infection with methicillin-resistant staph is one of the most common complications from major surgery in American hospitals.
We'll give you one of these reusable, lightweight, comfortable, thermally bondable, soft, strong, stain resistant, recyclable, totally awesome bags for free when you make purchases at the Threadless store.
Forstmeier says people can be trained to be more optimistic, to regulate emotion, and to formulate and achieve goals — all traits that might help build a brain resistant to Alzheimer's.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.