from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the mind; intellectual: mental powers.
- adj. Executed or performed by the mind; existing in the mind: mental images of happy times.
- adj. Of, relating to, or affected by a disorder of the mind.
- adj. Intended for treatment of people affected with disorders of the mind.
- adj. Of or relating to telepathy or mind reading.
- adj. Slang Emotionally upset; crazed: got mental when he saw the dent in his new car.
- adj. Offensive Slang Slang Mentally or psychologically disturbed.
- adj. Of or relating to the chin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the mind or an intellectual process.
- adj. Insane, mad, crazy.
- adj. Enjoyable; fun.
- adj. Of or relating to the chin or median part of the lower jaw, genial.
- adj. Of or relating to the chin-like or lip-like structure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the chin; genian
- n. A plate or scale covering the mentum or chin of a fish or reptile.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the mind; intellectual
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the mind; specifically, belonging to or characteristic of the intellect; intellectual: as, the mental powers or faculties; a mental state or condition; mental perception.
- Done or performed by the mind; due to the action of the mind.
- Relating to the mind; concerned with the nature, attributes, or phenomena of the human intellect: as, mental philosophy; mental sciences.
- In anat, of or pertaining to the mentum or chin; genial.
- n. An Oriental water-tight basket, having four ropes attached, by which two men raise water from a stream or cistern and discharge it into a trench for irrigation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the mind
- adj. of or relating to the chin- or liplike structure in insects and certain mollusks
- adj. affected by a disorder of the mind
- adj. of or relating to the chin or median part of the lower jaw
- adj. involving the mind or an intellectual process
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin mentālis, from Latin mēns, ment-, mind; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
From Latin mentum, chin; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French mental, from Late Latin mentālis ("of the mind, mental"), from Latin mēns ("the mind"). Also from Latin mentum ("the chin"), depending on usage. (Wiktionary)