from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or exhibiting refined, tasteful beauty of manner, form, or style. See Synonyms at delicate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterised by or exhibiting elegance.
- adj. Characterised by minimalism and intuitiveness while preserving exactness and precision.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Very choice, and hence, pleasing to good taste; characterized by grace, propriety, and refinement, and the absence of every thing offensive; exciting admiration and approbation by symmetry, completeness, freedom from blemish, and the like; graceful; tasteful and highly attractive
- adj. Exercising a nice choice; discriminating beauty or sensitive to beauty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having good or fine taste; nice in taste; fastidious; sensible to beauty or propriety; discriminating beauty from deformity or imperfection: said of persons.
- Polished; polite; refined; graceful: said of persons: as, an elegant lady or gentleman.
- Characterized by or pertaining to good taste; indicating a refined propriety of taste: as, elegant manners.
- Expressed with taste and neatness; correct and polished in expression or arrangement: as, an elegant style of composition; elegant speech.
- Pleasing to the eye by grace of form or delicacy of color; characterized by exquisiteness of design or fine taste; free from coarseness, blemish, or other defect; refined: as, an elegant figure; an elegant vase; an elegant structure.
- Pleasing to the mind, as exhibiting fine perception of what is required; calculated to effect its purpose with exceeding accuracy, delicacy, and neatness; exquisitely ingenious or appropriate: as, an elegant modification of a philosophical instrument; an elegant algebraical formula or mathematical demonstration; an elegant chess problem.
- Synonyms Elegant, Graceful, tasteful, courtly. Elegant implies that anything of an artificial character to which it is applied is the result of training and cultivation through the study of models or ideals of grace; graceful implies less of consciousness, and suggests often a natural gift. A rustic, uneducated girl may be naturally graceful, but not elegant. We speak of elegant manners, composition, furniture, taste, but of a graceful tree, fawn, child; the playful movements of a kitten may be graceful. See beautiful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. displaying effortless beauty and simplicity in movement or execution
- adj. suggesting taste, ease, and wealth
- adj. refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style
"Nope; Nelly's an elegant name -- an _elegant_ name."
Rad Hourani, a Syrian-born self-made designer who grew up in Quebec, also received attention last week with what he describes as his elegant "slick, modern, long, layered, timeless, genderless, seasonless" style.
Page 74 are made to excel in that department which lies between the sensuous and the intellectual -- what we call the elegant arts.
It allowed players to target virtual minarets in elegant Vienna and pastoral Alpine villages with a single word, "stop."
The house looks simple and elegant from the inside with the upper floor possessing sliding glass windows to enjoy the view outside.
With a modern looking home decor accessories, you can add that certain elegant feel to the house and exude a more comfortable setting at home.
This more masculine ensemble, while still elegant, is a fun departure from the brunette's closet of dresses.
He'd like to see more women in elegant heels, adorable flats or even classic American saddle shoes instead of the "clunky" platforms â his word â that have been so popular in recent seasons.
He'd like to see more women in elegant heels, adorable flats or even classic American saddle shoes instead of the "clunky" platforms – his word – that have been so popular in recent seasons.
Often I saw shop workers, young women in elegant jackets who stood outside their shops smoking while the occasional customer wandered around unattended inside.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.