from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The operation of aircraft.
- n. The design, development, and production of aircraft.
- n. Military aircraft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The art or science of making and flying aircraft.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art or science of flying.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or act of flying; specifically, the science or art of directing and controlling flying-machines; the art of navigating the air with machines heavier than air.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the art of operating aircraft
- n. the operation of aircraft to provide transportation
- n. the aggregation of a country's military aircraft
- n. travel via aircraft
French, from Latin avis, bird; see awi- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French aviation, from Latin avis (bird), from Proto-Indo-European *awi- (bird). (Wiktionary)